Netherlands Silver 400 Jaar Manhattan Commerative Five Euro
In 1609 Henry Hudson in the alve Maen disregarded orders from his patron, The Dutch East Indian Company, who had hired him to find a route to Chine through the Artic over Russia, and turned west to North America. eventually, he entered into New York Harbor, sent crew to explore what is today Coney Island, and then moved on to Manhattan Island where he traaded with natives and moved on up the Hundson River to the Albany Area, being the first to map all this area.
His crew member, Robert Juet, kept a log and recorded the discovery of Manhattan, calling it "Manna-hata" after what the Lenepe Indians called the Island, which is roughly transslated as Island of Hills. Hudson's exposition was the basis for Dutch claims to the area and eventually settled, Albany, New Amsterdam, Broklyn and Kingston as the core of the New Netherlands.
In 2009 the Dutch celebrated this discovery with an outstanding coin, The Netherlands Zilber 400 Jaar Manhattan Commerative Five Euro Coin, one of the truly great designs of the early part of the 21st century. No other design has ever approached the detail that the Utrecht Mint carried out with this gem of a coin.
I ended up with two of these coins as I loved it so much that I ended up pawing it and causing the proof finish to tarnish.
Those photographs taken in 2009 is of the first coin and the detail was obtained using a magnifying glass in conjunction with the camera.
The New coin was aquired in 2012 as a replacement and these new photographs were taken with an updates 13.2 Megpx Sony Cybershot.
The Safir Family Internet Coin Library. Nearly all the coins here have been stolen. If you have any information on the theft, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.orgClick to see these examples show below including photography: note to lawyer: most of the good stuff is gone
Section I:US Coints Large Cent Coppers Flying Eagle Cents Lincoln Cents and Wheat Backs Buffalo Nickels Jefferson Nickels Jefferson Silver War Nickels Bust Half Dimes Mercury (Liberrty Head) Dimes Roosevelt Dime Barber Quarter Dollars Standing Libery Quarter Washington and Washington State Quarters Cap Bust Half Dollars 1813 o.108 AU58 Cap Bust Half Providence Powell. 1818 MS63 Cap Bust Half 1833 MS63 Cap Bust Half Seated Half Dollars Barber Half Dollars Walking Liberty Half Dollars Franklin Half Dollars Kennedy Half Dollars Morgan Silver Dollars Peace Silver Dollars Eisenhower Clad and Silver Dollars Sacawagea Golden Dollars Modern Silver and Clad Proof Sets Modern American Silver Eagle uncirculated mint coins and proofs Modern Silver and Clad 2008 Commorative Bald Eagle Series Gold Coins - Not too many Circulated US Silver Coins prior to 1964
Go To Section II: Modern and Ancient Foreign Coins from Outside The United States
Go To Section III: Mandy's 25th Anniversary World Wildlife Fund Silver Coins
Unsorted Extra stuff: Bust US Coinage From the coin Show at Melville Long Island Article on Numismatics and Lobbying
The Safir Family Internet Coin Library: Foriegn Coins.Several mints from around the world make exciting coin designs in circulating alloys, silver and gold. Among my favorites are the Perth Mint in Austrailia which produces a variety of coins for nations mostly through out the Pacific Rim. The Neatherlands has also produced some interesting designs, and several private US based mints have produced foreign currency on contract, include the Franklin Mint which has produced many Israeli Coins. Our interest in foreign coins has been nominal but rapidly growing as it seems that US designs are so stuck in the mud. Also, foreign mints are creating bold new designs with color and bimetal designs that are both eye catching and fun.
- Dutch Scheepjesschelling
- Biblical Coins overview
- Australian Silver Koala
- Australian Kookaburra Silver
- Australian Perth Mint Reef II Sea Life Silver Hawkbill Turtle
- Australian Perth Mint Reef II Sea Life Series Octopus
- Australian Perth Mint Reef II Sea Life Series Starfish
- Australian Perth Mint Reef II Sea Life Series Surgeon Fish
- Australian Perth Mint Reef II Sea Life Series Manta Ray
- Australian Perth Mint Silver Cockatoo Parrot
- Australian Perth Mint Dollar Silver Dugong
- Britain Churchill Crown 1965
- British Wren Type Farthings
- Britain Virgin Island $25 Golden Osprey
- Cayman Islands Cuban Amazon Parrot: 25 Anniversity World Wifelife Fund
- Chinese Silver Panda
- Easter Islands
- Fiji Island Turtle Bullion minted in New Zealand
- German 10 Euro Archeopteryx Coin
- Indo-Sassanian Gadhaya Paisa Saurastrat - Silver Coin
- Israeli Coins
- Japanese Aomori Coin
- Judean Roman Wars
- Judean Herodian Coinage
- Macabean Coins
- Netherlands Architecture Commemerative Euro
- Netherlands 400 years since the discovery of Manhattan Commem
- Netherlands Predecimal Steivers
- New Zealand 1963 One Florin
- New Zealand 1996 Kaka Parrot $5 Silver Dollar
- Niue Island Artist Series: Van Gogh
- Niue Island Cave of Chauvet
- Portugal Coa Valley Archeological Site Coin
- Polish Food for All Commemerative - First Food
- Slovakia Chatam Sofer Commem
- Tuvalu Deadly and Dangerous Silver Blue Ringed Octopus
- Tuvalu Deadly and Dangerous Silver Funnel-Web Spider
- Uraguay 1969 FAO Pattern Coins
- Western Satraps 1st Century - 2nd Centry India -R-Drachm
- Israeli Akko, Birds, Red Sea and Elijah Coins. Perth Minti Kookabura and Koalas, and Van Gogh Coin from Niue Island
- More Birds and some half dimes
- half dimes
- More International Birds
Ruben Safir's Front Page